Raise your hand if you are at the brink of pulling your hair out getting kids ready to go back to school? Just what I thought! Hopefully you are among those whose kids go to a school where UNIFORMS are required and that is one less thing you have to worry about. I used to think that uniforms "stifled a child's ability to express themselves". HA! That lasted a hot minute after a disasterous first day of school "what am I going to wear?!" moment from my 9 year old. Uniforms are most definitely a mom's best friend. And there are plenty of ways for your kid to express themselves with these "too cool for school" accessories we found at Nordstrom.
For the boys; hip sneakers, rad backpacks and lunch bags and don't even get me started on these fab socks.
And for the girls; sneakers in all the hot trends including colorblock, floral and animal print, cute and whimsical backpacks and lunch bags, and fun accessories because you know, more is more.
Shop Nordstrom's Back to School Shop for all of this plus uniform tops and bottoms, outerwear and more.
Happy First Day of School!
This post contains affiliate links and we are compensated when purchases are made via these links.
We interrupt our regularly scheduled home decor and design blog for a bit of fashion. Early Access for the Nordstrom Anniversary Sale starts on 7/12 (credit card holders) and yes, even though it is only July, we're gonna just ignore the wool coats and boots for now and focus on stuff you can wear now AND stuff you can stash until November and be super excited to pull out when the temps dip below 60. If you are not a Nordstrom Credit Card holder, you can apply here. Otherwise, preview the sale catalog here and shop starting July 19.
So, what are the trends we are following? Bright bold colors, animal prints, and florals. But really, there is something for everyone. Here are some of our favorites.
BRIGHT AND BOLD
Shop early for best availability! We now return you to your regularly scheduled home decor and design.
This post contains affiliate links and we will be compensated for purchases made via these links.
We know it's somewhat ironic to share a Mother's Day gift post with an audience that should be RECEIVING the gifts, not buying the gifts. But we also know how troublesome gift buying can be for the males in our lives so the least we can do is give you a list to give to them so they have a jumping off point. Chances are they can't go wrong walking in to Anthropologie, but in case your husband, son, etc needs some more specific direction, we've done the work for you.
It's been quite a whirlwind couple weeks here at SGD. Last week we went to the big Texas Antique Weekend show in Warrenton and Round Top, Texas. If you've never heard of it, it's like the biggest flea market ever. Spanning over 10 miles and three towns, there are barns, fields, tents, driveways, pretty much any flat surface available selling antiques, home decor items, vintage textiles, rugs, furniture and whatever this is.
The venues range from high-end designer showrooms to makeshift tents with card tables and tarps. Our favorite places though, had bold colors, rich textiles, and amazing hand-crafted details. Punkie's Place was a color explosion that hit you right in the face when you walked in. Mexican textiles, embroidery, and kitchy accessories layered upon layer upon layer. We found the cutest embroidered Mexican dresses here!
While Punkie's Place was a legit house, the vendors from Africa sold baskets, beads, textiles and the craziest beaded furniture on tarps on the side of the street and in tents. Keep in mind when you go that there are ALWAYS more than one vendor selling the same thing. The first one we came across selling these beaded chairs wanted $2400 for one. Three tents later, we found someone selling pretty much the same thing for $800. Everyone is there to make a deal, so be savvy and don't take the first price you're given.
On our last day, we saw a post from the owners of Hale House here in Fort Worth with the most awesome dining chairs. The hunt was on at that point to find those chairs. We ended up at a venue called Blue Hills and while we didn't find the chairs (the vendor was only there the day before), we did find Karma Living. Pretty sure they were ready for us to leave after snapping a thousand pics, wrecking countless displays and running around the store like we'd never seen an embroidered pillow before. SUPER good news is that they have a showroom in Dallas so you can bet your sweet biddy that we will be there often creating just as much havoc. You can buy their products on Amazon or Wayfair.
The show runs two-ish weeks in April and October. Plan early if you want to go, there really aren't hotels and rentals book up quickly. We booked our AirBnB in Brenham in December. It was about a 20 minute drive to the show, but that's pretty typical. Cash is king and will get you even better deals. Bargain hunt, like we said, many vendors sell the exact same thing. However, if you LOVE it, buy it. You either won't remember where you found it, or it'll be gone by the time you go back.
All the great stuff we picked up at the show is now for sale on our SHOP page! Check it out for all the goodies.
OK y'all. Today is the biggest sale of the year at Wayfair and we are so excited that so many of our favorite things are on super sale. It's a one day sale, so you have to act fast but I'm telling you, these prices CAN'T BE BEAT!!
1. Newburyport Rug--We loved the washed colors of this rug. Perfect for a boho vibe.
2. Deloris Two Door Cabinet--If you don't recognize this, well then you haven't been paying attention. The centerpiece to Shauna's entry way.
3. Efrain Chandelier--This amazing piece has been used in many projects, including this office space. A great look at a great price.
4. Beverly Linen Sheets--OK, this is serious. YOU NEED THESE SHEETS. Everyone in the office has bought them and won't stop gushing. Even at regular price (about $100 a set) they are a steal, but on sale??? I'm struggling to not buy every color.
5. Lorna Pouf--This is just so happy, it needs to find a home. Why not in yours?
6. 'Even Flow' Canvas Print--Graphic color doesn't have to be overwhelming. This piece adds just the right punch to that blank wall.
7. Prairie Coffee Table--Simple and sleek and no sharp edges to bang your knee on. This coffee table is a winner.
8. Melbourne Beach Lamp--This guy comes in a variety of colors but the cool aqua reminds us of the beach and well, who doesn't love that?
9. Coral Springs Lounge Chair--Shauna fell in love with the style of this chair. The fabric? Not so much. Luckily, with so many great fabric resources to choose from, finding the perfect one was a cinch.
10. Borowski Area Rug--Think of this rug as your favorite pair of jeans. Feels great, goes with everything, and looks amazing.
Don't forget, sale ends at midnight!
This post contains affiliate links.
It's a happy day when Anthropologie marks down sale stuff an additional 40% off. Like a "where did my whole paycheck go?" kind of happy day. Of course, we are eating dollar tacos for the next week, but hey, they are on very cool plates. So, get your mouse ready, these are our faves.
Discount applied in cart, so ignore the prices you see here. Post contains affiliate links.
Our latest Friday Finds from Anthropologie are just the remedy for these chilly February days. Hope you enjoyed those few days in the mid 70s, they will return, we promise. In the meantime, freshen up your home with these bright, beautiful finds.
Quick quiz: What's the easiest and cheapest way to update your space? Well, based on the title of the blog, I think you know the answer. With pillow covers as low as $29, you can have a fresh new look for less than $200. Want another tip? Buying separate pillow covers and inserts make for super easy switch outs. For nice full pillows, go up a size in your insert. So, if your pillow is 18 x 18", buy a 20 x 20" insert. Our favorite inserts are from Amazon and come in every size imaginable. Now, for the fun stuff. West Elm and Crate & Barrel have some really amazing pillows right now. Shauna has been updating her living room and well, we are totally inspired. Shop the look below.
1. Fuentes Plaid Pillow
2. Luana Striped Pillow
3. Embroidered House Plant Pillow Cover
4. Brenner Velvet Pillow
5. Moyano Black Patterned Pillow
6. Mongolian Lamb Pillow Cover
7. Corded Rippled Circles Pillow Cover
8. Taavi Turkish Silk Pillow
9. Embroidered Jeweled Chevron Pillow Covers
Bonus! All pillows, bedding and throws at West Elm are 25% off. Get shopping!
This post contains affiliate links.
As I mentioned last week, we have been on a shopping spree lately. In fact, we now need a storage unit to hold all the goodies we are buying for you, our future client. In fact, it behooves you to check these out because several of the things we shared with you from Anthropologie a few weeks ago are SOLD OUT! This week, we hit West Elm. Colorful and modern, it checks the boxes when you need something cool without breaking the bank. AND everything is an extra 20% off with code GIVEME20. Don't wait, friends, we don't need another Anthropologie episode.
1. Pastel Speckle Salad Plates
2. Corded Rippled Circles Pillow Cover
3. Totem Colored Glass Vases
4. Terracotta Wallscape Planters
5. Cosmo Side Table
6. Mirrored Block Throws
7. Optic Blocks Rug in CORAL!
8. Color Pop Crystal Bookends
9. Watercolor Garden Pillow Covers
10. Embroidered Jewel Chevron Pillow Covers
11. Minted Half Dome Wall Art
This post contains affiliate links.
The big news in the retail and home decor world this week was the release of exclusive prints of the Beatles from Crate and Barrel. Kitschy prints are right up our alley. Just take a look at Shauna's dining room. In addition to the 21 Beatles prints, this week's edition of Friday Finds includes some other great new products we are buying for clients' homes. Super fun pops of color that won't cost you an arm and a leg are the perfect cure to gloomy winter days.
1. Beatles Portrait Wall Art--This is marketed for a kid's room but honestly, we love the colors and style so much it's way too cool for a kid's room.
2. Carmen Multicolored Pillow--Folk Art inspired embroidered pillow in a cute 12x18 size.
3. Mohave Striped Baskets--Something every home needs, more storage and something black and white. These soft sided baskets check all the boxes.
4. Mireya Vases--Handcrafted terra cotta vases from Portugal are finished with a crazed glazing in every color under the sun. A great excuse to go buy yourself some flowers.
5. Este Floral Napkin--We are pretty sure designer Este Mcleod is our sister from another mister. Seriously, we want everything in this collection, but if you can only buy one thing, a set of these napkins are sure to make you smile.
6. Este Ceramics--Am I right? So adorable. Trivet, measuring cups, spoon rest and measuring spoons with fruits, flowers, birds. I can't even.
7.Caprice Mod Medallion Dinnerware--So, these are melamine. Meaning unbreakable. Safe for the kids. Or to use outside. Or for grownups who are accident prone.
8. Allende Velvet Lumbar Pillow--I love this oversized lumbar pillow. 36"! It's all you need for your sofa or bed to make it fresh and new.
9. The Beatles-Revolver Album Cover Print--Designed by artist Klaus Voorman, it is probably one of the best of all the Beatles album covers.
Also don't miss the Bedding and Bath Sale going on now at Crate & Barrel. Ends January 21.
This post contains affiliate links.